Creating and Placing Web Pages on the WWW
Internet Access for Colleton County Schools provides an opportunity for students and staff members to contribute to the Colleton County School District presence on the World Wide Web. Web page authors must familiarize themselves with this policy as well as copyright laws and electronic copyright restrictions. Building Administrators, District Level Administrators, or their designees are responsible for final web page approval.
District Web Site
The district web server and district related web pages will be maintained by Technology Center staff personnel. Any questions concerning district maintained web pages should be directed to the Director of Technology. All web pages posted on the district web server are required to meet this policy as well as all other Colleton County School District Board Policies.
School Web Pages
Schools may establish web pages that present information concerning school or class activities for posting on the district web site. The school principal will designate an individual to be responsible for coordinating, managing, and uploading the school web site. Henceforth, this person will be referred to as the school WEBMASTER. The Technology Center will train all school WEBMASTERS in web hosting policies and procedures. Teachers will be responsible for submitting all web pages to the WEBMASTER for uploading to the district web server. WEBMASTERS will be responsible for insuring that all submitted web pages have been approved by the principal or his/her designee and meet this and all other district policies. Any links to web pages that are not specifically curriculum-related should be limited to information about other youth activities, agencies, or organizations which are known to be devoted to community interests or child welfare, and are non-profit and non-discriminatory. Commercial web links will be allowed as long as the commercial site has educational value.
Student Web Pages
Student web pages are acceptable for posting only as part of a class project and with specific permission from a sponsoring teacher. Student web pages will be part of the school's web site and must be linked appropriately. The school principal or designee, sponsoring teacher, and school WEBMASTER will determine if the web page is appropriate and conforms to district policies. School web pages must include the following notice prior to linking to any student web page: "This is a student web page. Opinions expressed on this page shall not be attributed to the Colleton County School District." The student web page must be linked or contain the sponsoring teacher's name and e-mail address.
Extracurricular Organization Web Pages
With the approval of the school's principal or designee, extracurricular organizations may present their organization's material as part of their school's web page. The individual school WEBMASTER will establish a process and criteria for the establishment and posting of materials, including pointers to other sites, from these pages. Organizational material presented on the school's district web page must relate specifically to the extracurricular organization. School web pages must include the following notice prior to linking to any extra curricular web page: " This is a student extracurricular organization web page. Opinions expressed on this page shall not be attributed to the Colleton County School District."
Defined: A WEBMASTER is the person who is responsible for the content and publication of their school World Wide Web home page upon final approval of the school principal or designee. The school WEBMASTER will be responsible for receiving the principal's or designee's approval prior to transferring the files to the district web site. Only trained WEBMASTERS will be given FTP passwords to the school's web site folder.
WEB PAGE Requirements
- Web pages should be free of spelling and grammatical errors.
- Web pages should be kept current and up-to-date. Links should be checked regularly.
- The web page must contain the e-mail address of the person(s) responsible for the web page or update.
- Web pages should not contain links to other web pages not yet completed.
- Graphics should be kept to a minimum. Schools will be restricted in size of space on the web server in order to allow all schools to have equitable access.
- Web pages should be a maximum of four scrolling screens.
- All links should be curriculum related. School WEBMASTERS will be responsible for following all student created web page direct links prior to uploading web pages to the district web site in order in insure that all links follow district guidelines. All copyright laws must be followed when posting web pages to the district's web site.
- Web page documents may include only the first name and the initial of the student's last name. Documents may not include a student's phone number, address, name of other family members, or full names of friends. Students may link to fellow students web sites on the district server provided they use only the first name and last initial of the fellow student. Student pictures may not be published without written consent from parents/guardians. At no time should a student's home address, or phone number appear on a school or district web page. Student e-mail addresses may be displayed on the student's web page for feedback purposes.
- Principals or designees, district department heads, and finally WEBMASTERS are responsible for web page approval. WEBMASTERS will be the only persons allowed to upload web pages to the district's web site. Uploading a student web page to the district server will indicate that the school's WEBMASTER and sponsoring teacher have checked and received approval for the web page. Any questions by the WEBMASTER or sponsoring teacher on appropriateness of a web page should be directed to the school's principal or his/her designee.
- Links may not point to objectionable material.
- The district Acceptable Use Policy must be followed.
- Students may not submit web pages directly to the school WEBMASTER. Students wishing to submit web pages to the school web site must have a sponsoring teacher.